Friday, June 15, 2007

The National Anthem Project

"WASHINGTON, June 14 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The National Anthem Project, a multi-year effort to re-teach Americans to sing the 'The Star-Spangled Banner' and spotlight school music programs, kicks off its Grand Finale today in Washington, D.C. Thousands of school children, teachers and music supporters traveled to the nation's capital to participate in the culmination celebrations on June 14-16, all of which are open to the general public. "
More... :: The National Anthem Project Hosts Grand Finale Events in Nation's Capital June 14-16

National Anthem Project Video


I have my own thoughts on this because I very clearly remember the day Dallas first realized we had US citizenship as well as our Canadian citizenship. We were at a Tattoo in Lethbridge Alberta with dispalys by both US and Canadian forces. At the start of the show we sang both national anthems -- and I sang along. Dallas turned to me in amazement and asked how I knew the words to the American national anthem (although I confess I did not knowe them all). I explained I had learned them in school as a child and the discussion went on from there to me explaining our dual citizenship status. It was at that moment that Dallas realized he not only had a choice of branches ion the Canadian military but also had a choice of all the branches of the US military.

With the memories of that day still in my mind I must admit it was with more than a little disbelief that we were at group events in the US after we moved here and that when the anthem was played -- no voices were heard. At first I though it was maybe just a new trend -- we don't sing along anymore but when I attended a rodeo in Stratford, Ontario last year and both national anthems were played -- very few sang along to the US anthem but the Canadians heartily belted out the words to O'Canada.

~Wendy


O Canada Edmonton Oilers Style

The lyrics for all of the National Anthem, The Star Spangled Banner, 1814, Words by Francis Scott Key, Music by John Stafford Smith can be found here.

And of course -- the lyrics for O Canada are here or download the MP3

1 comment:

SurferJoe said...

The very best and most appropriate live rendition of the United States of America’s National Anthem. Was sung by a Canadian Military or Mounted Police Officer during one of the 9/11 memorials. I am desperately seeking a clip, or recording of the performance.