Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Its 9 o'clock, do you know where your children are?


This is the tough part. I look forward to the occasional email or phone call -- yesterday they were still in Kuwait-- but by the time we're getting ready for bed here in New Mexico I know Dallas is just starting his day-- and I have no real grasp of what it might entail.
He was in kindergarten, in Grande Prairie, Alberta when he first looked up at me with tear-filled eyes and said the war was over and they didn't wait for him. That was Desert Storm. It was the first I knew of his desire to go to battle but it was not the last. In grade 2 we attended a Tattoo in Lethbridge, Alberta and after watching the demonstrations of the forces he announced his intentions of joining 'something' but at that point he couldn't decide between the Canadian Army, The US army or the Marines.
Fast forward through the years where all his gifts came from military surplus stores and his eventual joining the Rocky Mountain Rangers Cadets. On the morning of 9/11 he sat and watched the news and asked how long it would take for me to get my proof of citizenship and move us back to the US. I watched a change take place that morning as if he had personally been violated. He had made up his mind. He went to school wearing a double US/Canada flag. He logged on to goarmy.com and sent for an information packet. He was going to join the American army and fight the war on terror.
It was really no surprise when my husband and I got home from Iowa last spring we found Dallas had finally received his SSN while we were away and was off to MEPS at Albuquerque. And its really no surprise that when I talk to him on the phone when he calls from Kuwait and mention he sounds eager to get to Baghdad -- he says "I am". And I guess it should really be no surprise that even after his lifetime of preparing me I still have an unsettling feeling every evening because I don't know where all my children are.


n.b.On Wednesday morning, at about 8:20 Dallas phoned from Iraq to let me know where he is.

photo by Staff Sgt. Bronco Suzuki, centcom.mil

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Wendy, this made my cry. I pray he stays safe!!

WEndy (aka Sky)

Wendy said...

Wow, this is so touching. I can't even imagine. I have two boys (2 and 6) and I have no idea what that would be like.

I know all those boys are heroes, but the moms are heroes, too. How can you not throw yourself onto him and scream and crying for him not to go. Not doing that takes strength and courage.

My hats off to you, girl!

wourpet said...

Thanks Wendy. Dallas returned safely after 15 months in Baghdad to Ft Bragg. He is currently in extensive readiness training for his next deployment. He is supposed to go to Iraq again this summer for at least 1 year.
I am deeply involved with those hero moms in the Blue Star Mothers of America.